My Blog

Friday, April 15, 2011

Epcot

Our second full day in Orlando was, thank the Lord, the only one that it thunder-stormed the ENTIRE day. Brent and I weighed our options and determined that Epcot would be the best theme park to tackle in such weather, as it features many indoor attractions. We armed ourselves with ponchos and marched out into the fury, obstinately refusing to have anything but a wonderful day on vacation.

BTW, Epcot stands for Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow. Walt Disney's dream was that it would be a real community where people lived and worked. It was to be the showpiece of American advances in technology put on display in the citizens' homes, methods of transportation, the community's energy efficiency, etc. Walt's dream never came true, and instead, Epcot opened as a theme park hosting many scientific exhibits that are still updated on a regular basis. Today, half of the park is devoted to science and half of it is devoted to the nations of the world, featuring the highlights of many different nations in Epcot's World Showcase Pavilions.

Right outside the entrance to Epcot, just minutes before the park opened.

After exhausting all of the interesting-looking rides and exhibits in the science part, we sat down for lunch in England's Rose & Crown Pub for fish and chips. Oh my...I just remembered. The Rose & Crown was where we ordered a trio of breads and cheeses that came with complementary spreads and such. We could not figure out what one of the spreads was made of...our best guess was apricot and horseradish. We finally asked a waitress what it was and she informed us it was onion jam. *GAG*

In France, I introduced myself to Belle and the Beast. In truly starstruck fashion I told Beast that he was very intimidating as he took my hand. Belle told me not to say that, for it wounded him to think he still appeared to be a menace.

When Belle and the Beast didn't have anyone wanting their picture taken with them, their focus was centered on each other. I announce to you, ladies and gentlemen, after all these years, they are still very much in love. Extremely mushy and gushy with each other.

I had read in my guidebook that there was a fantastic pastry shop in France, so we made sure to stop for some dessert after lunch. It was embarrassing how long Brent and I took to decide what we wanted...there were SO many options and all of them looked like the best! Even more embarrassing was that we ordered four pastries for the two of us! My choices were this AMAZING almond cake and a gigantic cream puff. Brent chose chocolate mousse (incredible) and a chocolate eclaire. He scarfed the eclaire down in the amount of time it took me to say "yum," but the chocolate mousse we saved and savored over the next few mornings before breakfast.

Hey, relax. Chill. We were on vacation. Don't judge.

*sniff* After my almond cake, I was too full to try the cream puff. It didn't save well in our hotel room fridge, and by the time I tried a bite of it a few days later it was unquestionably stale. *tear*

We ate dinner in Mexico that night, at the closest thing that WDW has to the Blue Bayou. We stepped inside a Mayan pyramid to find a beautiful twilight restaurant situated at the base of another pyramid, with a glowing and rumbling volcano in the background. It was the most romantic restaurant that perhaps we have ever eaten at together. These camera phone pictures truly do not do it justice.




And so concluded our day at Epcot.

No comments:

Post a Comment